Friday, May 10, 2013

Bouncing Back From Gardening Failure

Weeks ago, when I started my seeds, I wrote about my fears of failure. Sadly, those fears have been realized. Almost every single seedling is dead. What remains are a few sugar snap peas, some spinach that's looking kind of not so good, and a few very stunted looking kale seedlings. Let's also not forget the curious case of the chive seeds that migrated from the pot in which I planted them clear over to the other side of my yard where they took root amongst the grass, giving me crazy smells every time I mow the lawn.




Having gone into this gardening season mentally prepared for at least some failure, I'm not quite as devastated as I could be. There are things that I could have done better, however, for the most part, these deaths were cause by some terrific rains that swept through the North American midwest a few weeks ago. We were fortunate to not have sustained any flooding damage, many in the surrounding areas lost everything. We did enjoy making lemonade from the lemons by boating in the retention pond in the park behind our home.



I fear it might be too late to start some of the seedlings over again, particularly for tomatoes and peppers. I'm not giving up, though. I will need to revert, at least for some things, to buying plants. All is not lost on my quest for more wholesome, organic and non-GMO, though. I have found a source in my home town who will be selling organic, locally grown seedlings tomorrow. I've perused their offerings in the past and know I'll find some amazing heirloom varieties that will be delicious.


No comments:

Post a Comment